As an entrepreneur, do you find yourself going home every night feeling like you didn’t get your #1 priority completed that day?
- Do you feel as though you spend your day fighting fires and running on a treadmill?
- Are you feeling that the processes and tools which have served you so well over so many years are no longer sufficient?
- Do you feel like you are herding cats and cannot gain momentum?
You are not alone. There are 582 Million entrepreneurs in the world!
Micheal Gerber, author of the E-Myth has identified 3 personas possessed by Entrepreneurs:
The three personas are:
• The Entrepreneur – This is our creative personality; the visionary, dreamer and innovator. It lives in the future, pondering “what if” scenarios and is the catalyst for change.
• The Manager – This is our pragmatic personality; the part of us that craves order, planning and consistency. It lives in the past, clinging to the status quo, and abhors change.
• The Technician – This is the doer, the worker, in all of us. It lives in the present and only sees the work that needs to be done at the moment.
This is the dilemma:
Most entrepreneurs are enamored with their craft so they decide to start their own business. This is the entrepreneur within them. They love the action, they love change and they love the bright, shiny objects. At some point the entrepreneurial company hits a wall. Running and gunning does not work, they cannot scale, they find themselves working too hard, hoping that at some point it will all slow down. The reality is that it won’t. They find that all that glitters is NOT GOLD. Frustrated, they question their choice.
- Begin to rely on your manager and technician personas.
- If you are not wired that way, you must surround yourself with talented people who can bring structures and systems to the table.
- Adopt a powerful operating process to run your company.
The Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) is the finest strategic planning and implementation tool I have witnessed in my 30 years of strategic planning:
- Build and share a clear vision and strategy for the company
- Get the right people on the Bus NOTHING is MORE IMPORTANT
- Identify the top 5-7 metrics that drive your business success MANAGE to THEM RIGOROUSLY
- Stop chasing issues, conduct root cause analysis and kill the issues (they are the root of all distractions)
- Create simple, well documented processes and make sure they are followed by all
- Meet as a leadership team WEEKLY for a focused, well prepared meeting to inspect and fix the previous 5 focuses
As an EOS implementer, Hahn Consulting makes companies stronger and more focused.
How effective is your organization? Take our organizational checkup